Reflections of Antiquity [NK, Private]

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Reflections of Antiquity [NK, Private]

Post by Riku on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:39 pm

Riku listened with interest as Satori explained the prickly feeling his clan's grounds emanated. Briefly, she wondered how many people it took to maintain this effect or if they achieved it through use of fuinjutsu as opposed to ninjutsu. It also could have been an area of affect genjutsu.

She blinked at the sight of the impressive walls and gates surrounding the Ryuutei clan compound. How many doton users had that taken? Given the feel of Satori's chakra and the ambient power that resonated in the clan grounds, potentially not that many. The thought made Riku feel small. She tried to drink in the sight without outright ogling, but her eyes were wide with interest as she followed Satori through the doors --did they respond to his chakra?

Riku's head tilted to the side in the way it did when she was thinking. She tried to imprint the image of Satori's clansmen into her mind. Everyone looked vaguely like her friend, all wild hair and numerous piercings, especially the men. Even the women bore some resemblance to Satori.

Unbidden, the conversation they'd had in the infirmary about marriage came to mind. If Satori married her and two or three other women, would their children all look more like him?

Blushing, Riku pushed the thoughts away in favor of noting that the children didn't seem disturbed by the adults cleaning freshly killed animals. It wasn't all that different, the blue haired girl supposed, from the times she and Tsughi had watched her mother prepare fish or chicken. Riku and her sister had even helped with the task a few times.

Her brown eyes swept across the sheer amount of people in awe. Riku hadn't seen that many children in a single family before. The noise, the people, the varying activities all side by side reminded the blue haired girl more of the center of Kirigakure than a home. It was a bit dizzying.

Her grasp on Satori's hand tightened subconsciously.

"What I think?" she parroted back. "This might as well be a small village," Riku mumbled. "It's incredible."

[359/2518]
Riku

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Satori Ryuutei on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:52 pm

Satori watched as the girl blushed over some unknown thought, tilting his head a bit curiously before her reactions moved forward. She clung to him tighter, clearly, a bit overwhelmed as he allowed a grin to form on his lips once more. As she called it "incredible" his grin formed even wider, a small part of him had been worried. Worried that perhaps it would be too much, or perhaps something would push her away in fear. But instead only clear curiosity and hunger for knowledge shined from her eyes-- it was charming, really.

"Want to explore before we go to my house? Or want to meet my family first-- ah, nevermind. They decided for us." Tilting his head a bit, his grip shifted on her hand a bit and the reason became clear when three girls charged them both squealing "welcomes". As he was tackled from multiple sides, three small girls, one about a foot shorter than him the other two far more petite slightly shorter than Riku despite appearing about the same age as Satori. Both of the small girls attaching themselves to his unclaimed arm, and the last and largest tacking his throat, arms wrapping around his neck and legs around his waist as she clung to his chest.

Despite the force of the tackles, Satori simply grunted as he glanced down at the three girls clinging to him. One was blonde-- the one clinging to his throat, the other two held pitch black hair like him, the two smaller girls appeared totally normal, calling his name in sing-song tones as well as calls of "Welcome home, Satori-Nee!". The last girl, the blonde looked up at him showing brilliant green catlike eyes and feline traits just like Satori, despite being female-- in fact, she appeared to be the only female with the traits.

"I'm home, Saika, Serena, Hiyori," he stated calmly as his arm lifted the girls up, his forehead pressing to each of their own, one at a time where their skulls would brush a few times, like great cats rubbing heads before lowering the girls gently.

"These are my sisters, Riku-chan," he stated looking over his shoulder toward the girl as he offered a grin, before glancing down at the girls.

"Where are your manners? Say hello properly, hop off," he stated sternly, causing the girls to whine, before dropping to their feet and turning toward Riku as Satori waited patiently beside her while they lined up in front of her. The girls would all incline their heads, introducing themselves-- the two girls that appeared to be identical twins were Serena and Saika, the blonde was Hiyori. Afterward, they would straighten and wait for the girls' response to their combined introduction, Satori shaking his head in bemusement.

He understood Hiyori, but usually, women in his clan were far more reserved and calm. He blamed Kiyoshi, their father had an unusually feral personality-- even by male Ryuutei standards. It seemed he had inherited his mother's personality, and his sisters had inherited their father's personality instead.

[515/4,772]
Satori Ryuutei

View user profile https://www.patreon.com/emblevins

Back to top Go down

Post by Riku on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:10 pm

"Hm?" Riku turned her head just in time to see Satori's sisters pouncing on him. She giggled at the sight of her tall friend with three children hanging off of him. It was like seeing three of Tsughi in a sense, they had the same enthusiasm.

She watched Satori great his sisters with a forehead rub with thinly disguised curiosity. Riku hadn't seen Satori greet anyone that way before. Was it a clan thing or a Satori and his sisters thing? Either way, it explained why the boy never seemed flustered by being near her. With three sisters crawling all over him, how could he be flustered by any girl?

The girls even pouted just like the blue haired girl's own sister would have when Satori told them to get off of him and introduce themselves. Riku bit her lower lip to stifle a louder laugh at that. The blue haired girl silently sympathized with their whines. She was never happy about giving up physical contact with the tall boy either, though for different reasons.

"So you three are the ones I've heard about," the blue haired girl mused.

She let go of Satori's hand and bowed. "I'm Rostu Riku, Satori-san's friend. It's a pleasure to meet you three. I have a little sister who's probably close to your age. She'll visit sometime when my mother comes over. I hope you all can get along. She's excited to meet you."

Riku smiled at the girls, resisting the urge to reach for their brother's hand again. Her feet shuffled a bit while the blue haired girl tried to think of anything else to say. She glanced at Satori, but nothing came to mind. The blue haired girl settled maintaining her friendly expression instead.

[305/2823]
Riku

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Satori Ryuutei on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:40 pm

As Riku released him, Satori smiled softly. Watching the girl's interchange greetings before Riku introduced herself, the girls all raising their hands in greeting at once, excited at the idea of meeting the girl's sister as well. However, quickly, it evolved into an actual conversation as Hiyori would eagerly step forward and sniff the air curiously.

"Satori-Nee she smells like you," Hiyori stated curiously, before clapping her hands together and looking excitedly between the pair.

"Is she your first wife?" At this, several more around them perked up, one of the men working a nearby deer hide calling curiously over to them.

"Sa-kun, you got a wife? I thought you wanted to wait until you became Mizukage?" This quickly spread, and within a few moments, at least a dozen sets of eyes were curiously looking over, causing Satori to blink and place his hands lightly on his hips.

"Hiyori, honestly, don't assume things," he stated in a dry tone, causing the girl to shrink a bit.

"Was I wrong? Sorry, Sa-Nee," she stated idly, looking down and kicking at the dirt a bit as Satori released a slow breath in a sigh before reaching over toward the likely flustered blue haired girl, pulling her close and idly wrapping his arms around her. Both protectively as well as casually as ever, though this was the first time he had actually held her so fully, usually it was just her head on him or her hands in his.

Addressing everyone in a clear, concise voice, Satori stated calmly. "This is Rostu Riku, she's a friend. She may become my wife, but for now, we're just friends while we focus on our studies. Please treat her well, and don't allow rumors to spread everyone." A few blinked, and then laughter barked out from several members as Hiyori spun to face them, bowing in apology for spreading misinformation. Within a few moments, it was settled. A few greetings were given to Riku, smiles and casual waves before they returned to their duties.

Without issue, he'd fixed the issue and cut out any chance of misunderstanding with blunt honesty, as always. Glancing down at Riku he smiled lightly, butting his head briefly against the top of her head before his fingers wrapped around her own small hand once more as he focused on the girls.

"I'm going to show her around. Do you mind letting mother Raika know we're here? Father too. We'll probably come by for dinner tonight, but I'm going to want to be with her alone for the most part." This statement caused the girls to pout a bit, but nod-- and they were quickly sated with their hair being ruffled by him as the girls dashed off giggling in search of Kiyoshi and Raika. Releasing a breath at the interesting welcome, Satori would turn to stand in front of Riku with a smile.

"You have a lot of questions, right? Don't hesitate, just ask them, no matter how invasive they may be." He figured getting them out of the way, for now, would be good, and then they could move on and start exploring the compound afterward.

[541/5,313]
Satori Ryuutei

Back to top Go down

Post by Riku on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:55 pm

Riku felt her face growing hot when Hiyori said she smelled like Satori and asked if she was going to be his wife. All of a sudden more people were looking at her. The blue haired girl shuffled closer to Satori, as if hoping his tall form would shield her from their gazes.

She looked towards the voice asking Satori about waiting until he was Mizukage then back at the tall boy beside her. How long would it take for her friend to get strong enough to take over the village? Would Riku still be by his side at that point? Did she want to wait? Did she want to marry Satori or did she just want to be friends? The poor girl hadn't gotten around to deciding the answer to any of those questions.

Then, Satori's dry voice made Riku question everything. What if he didn't even want to marry her? If that was the case it wouldn't even matter what she thought. She bit her bottom lip, gaze focused on her boots.

The red faced girl looked up when Satori introduced her to the clan as his friend and potential wife. She offered a weak wave at everyone before looking at the ground again, barely taking her eyes off her boots long enough to accept Hiyori's apology and forgive the blonde girl. She wasn't angry with the other girl, but Riku still wanted to melt into the ground.

Riku twitched, startled when Satori bumped his head against hers gently, face turning red all over again. Still, the blue haired girl squeezed his hand when it wrapped around her smaller one. She called out a "see you later" to her friend's sisters before they ran off.

Once the trio of girls was gone, Riku began taking slow, calming breaths. Her face began to return to its usual hue and her grip on Satori's hand relaxed a fraction. She perked up when Satori invited her to ask questions, smile widening.

"How many of your clansmen did it take to build the border wall? Do the gates respond to your chakra? How old are your sisters? Are the walls reinforced with fuinjutsu? Does the chakra technique you use to make people feel watched come from a jutsu or is it maintained by seals? It's pretty widespread so it might be a bit much even for your clansmen to maintain that manually all the time, I mean they have other things to do, don't they? Like hunting. Can you hunt? No, scratch that, you can. Do you?" Riku paused to take a breath and let Satori begin to answer her questions.

[449/3272]
Riku

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Satori Ryuutei on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:15 pm

The blush was cute, but the boy was patient as she calmed. Once she was, he would listen to the barrage of questions with a slight tilt of his head. She was so eager to find out as many details as possible that it was truly charming. A smile playing at his lips he would calmly answer her from the first one forward without any hesitation or issue.

"One, our first Elder, my great-great-grandfather. But it's not that big a deal." Glancing at the large stone wall he shrugged, "The earth itself has no chakra in it on its own anymore after all. Molding large quantities of elements isn't that difficult if they have no extra properties. I could do that. Though it was a more amazing feat back then."

Shifting his gaze back down to her he would nod slightly at the second question. "I'll answer two at once. It has multiple Fuuinjutsu seals, they channel the technique's that were engraved in them by the elder, the chakra just has to be restored occasionally, and the output is weaker than the true techniques engraved." Still, that question and the way she phrased it was incredibly odd to him, and as he lifted a hand up that wasn't wrapped around her own he debated how to phrase the statement well.

"Also, just because we have alot of chakra doesn't mean we just throw it around haphazardly. It doesn't matter how deep your well is, you don't just leave the water running when it's not being used for anything, right? Same concept." With this he would continue on, idly trailing the tip of his thumb along the back of her hand.

"Hiyori is ten, Saika and Serena are nine. Serena is the older one by three minutes, twenty-seven seconds." The final question made him laugh, however, especially with how breathless she'd become. Petting her head gently he would nod once in agreement.

"Yes, I hunt. I have since I was about five, using a bow and arrow as is custom, with my father. After a few months I started going by myself, and once I became an adult of the clan and built my own house, I'm required by our traditions to hunt for all my own food. We can't ever buy anything, after all. We have to make everything we use by ourselves." A slight grin spread across his lips.

"Does that make sense?" Satori asked curiously, he wanted to make sure that his answers were making sense to the young woman or it wouldn't matter how much he answered her.

[447/5,760]
Satori Ryuutei

Back to top Go down

Post by Riku on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:46 pm

Riku wished she'd brought something to write with, but with all the excitement at meeting Satori's mothers, the blue haired girl had forgotten. She would have to try and commit the details of everything she learned to memory and write about it later. In the mean time, Riku listened avidly.

Satori had unwittingly gotten Riku hook line and sinker; she was a sucker for information, insatiably curious, and prone to getting attached to anyone willing to teach her. He had invited her to ask him anything and so far, hadn't even hesitated to answer any of the blue haired girl's inquiries.

As Satori talked and stroked her hair, Riku leaned closer to him and relaxed a bit. His explanations were short, but didn't leave out any details she needed to understand the responses. Absorbing information from his words was like breathing. It was much easier to understand than Academy lectures or the botany texts her mother kept around the house.

"That makes sense. Your clan is really self sufficient." She peered up at him, brown eyes still curious, boring into him as if trying to devour the tall boy.

"Can I go hunting with you sometime? I want to see how you do it. I know a little bit about what to do with fresh meat, but I've never caught any before. Kaa-san spends almost all her time with her plants or her patients, so she doesn't have time to hunt."

Riku took a moment to take in their surroundings, her gaze wandering over the architecture of the buildings, noting that they were built by the very people inhabiting them. The idea of having the power to catch and kill her own food and build her own home was appealing to her. If Riku could learn to be like Satori, even just a little, then she would be able to take care of her mother and sister with no problems, maybe even Anzu-oba-san if she worked hard enough.

The blue haired girl returned her attention to Satori, not wanting to miss his response.

[353/3625]
Riku

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Satori Ryuutei on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:27 pm

Satori nodded his head once, "We always have been. The village is weak-- they rely on currency, and on the strengths of others. I love my home, and I love this country, but I wish they'd understand that life isn't easy, and if you pretend it is, you become weak." A sigh passed the boys lips, far too philosophical for his own good, or his age before the boy would turn and smile down at the girl as she commented on coming with him on a hunt.

"Sure, I don't mind. I do it daily, so you can come whenever you want. I'll teach you hot to trap and hunt-- it'll help you improve your stealth quite a bit too." With this, Satori would then turn and gently lead the girl along.

"I guess we can talk in my house, there's no reason to stand around out here," with this, he would carefully weave his way through the pathways of the compound. There were calls of greeting as they passed by, and each time Satori smiled and waved in response. However, notably there was no treats offered or anything of the like, instead, as they walked it became clear what the Ryuutei's version of "treats" were.

Children that helped out were given treats in the form of knowledge. Tricks on how to better hold their blade, pointers on hand seals, new information on hunting or crafting. Pragmatism and self-sustainment were incredibly important in their culture, and it was ingrained even in the youngest children what a reward being given secrets, no matter how small, truly was. As they passed by the main building, the sound of explosions, strikes, and hard materials clashing in battle filled the air. Groans of pain from wounded being treated spoke of the brutal training methods, yet no one even batted an eye.

To the Ryuutei, this was normal. Instead they continued on until coming to an opening of land that held a large garden as well as a small greenhouse. To the side was a small smoking and drying cabin, and a shed that clearly held a variety of supplies. A single large two story cabin large enough for two people was clearly fairly new by the unstained but well-treated wood. It was crafted from a variety of materials, solid slabs of earth clearly done with chakra build the foundations. Treated and carved wood made up the walls, and rounded stones made up the pathways leading up to it, decorating the garden, and so forth.

Similarly, there was a low fence lining the land clearly marking it as private property in the compound, and there were many other houses of varying sizes decorating the area. This side of the compound lacked a massive defensive wall, and the reason became obvious as the lands expanded outward into fields beyond the compound, decorating the farmlands that had their own defensive towers, sections of walls acting as strategic defensive points instead. As they approached the large oak door, Satori slid it open revealing the minimalistic home. Furniture for one and a few guests, dozens of bookshelves, and a few simple tables made up the first room.

Entering he would lean down, hands trailing over her to accept a jacket, hanging it up casually along with his massive hoodie. Tossing it on the hook as he straightened the thin black mesh shirt he wore underneath, removing his sandals and stretching before glancing down and offering a slight smile.

"Welcome to my home. It's not much, but I'm proud of it. Do you want anything to eat or drink while we talk?" Tilting his head curiously, the boy would glance toward the door on the southern side of the room, clearly inferring it was the kitchen.

[637/6,397]
Satori Ryuutei

Back to top Go down

Post by Riku on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:53 pm

Riku's brow knit slightly when Satori called their village weak, a vague hint of a frown playing at the corner of her lips. From what her mother and Anzu let Riku learn about politics and the current state of affairs, Kirigakure was a vicious place. Clans that mostly looked out for themselves had been brought together because other groups of clans were unifying and they didn't want to get run over by the other newly formed villages. Even though that had been about six years ago, the social and political hierarchy weren't set in as deeply as they should be for stability. There were power vacuums and plenty of families who wanted to be higher up in the food chain so to speak were competing for a place at the top. That spoke of desperation as opposed to weakness, distraction kept people busy. Even her own family couldn't afford to become too independent, they were too busy establishing their place in the village.

Riku didn't voice her thoughts, though, instead, she turned her head to observe the children running around as they walked past. The look of delight on their faces when an adult would pause to show them how to do something or whisper in their ears with conspiratory looks on their faces provoked a soft smile. It reminded Riku vaguely of her father. He had been dead for two years now and her memories were starting to lose some of their clarity because of it. The blue haired girl wasn't sure if she felt warmed at the sight of relationships like the one she used to have with her father, or if her heart ached. Riku's smile softened into a more neutral expression.

Some of the children, Riku noticed, were sporting bruises and other injuries, probably from training. Watching them get tended to sparked some interest for the blue haired girl. How old were the girls in this clan when they first learned to patch themselves and others up? This was the thought that Riku decided to give voice.

"When do girls in your clan start learning medicine? When do they get to start practicing on other clan members?"

This was a far safer topic than Riku's political opinions or her more tender emotions.

Satori's house, despite being humble, was impressive to the blue haired girl all the same. His home rivaled the size of her childhood home in Port Kaibana. It was well made, Riku could tell, upon examination of the carved wood and sturdy foundation. Simple, but well made, unlike the townhouses where she lived with her aunt, mother, and sister. The buildings Riku's family and extended family had taken for their own had been built somewhat hastily to accommodate the centralization of people around and in Kirigakure after its formation.

Inside, Riku continued to look around, wide eyed. She let Satori take her jacket, revealing the lightweight yukata beneath it, without taking her eye off of the decor.

"...are those table legs made out of bone?" the blue haired girl inquired, slipping out of her sandals to wander closer to inspect the furniture.

Satori's question got Riku to look at him again. "Thank you, Satori-san. Could I have some water please?"

Her stomach grumbled just after she requested the drink. Flushing and setting a hand over her belly to calm it, the girl continued, "what do you have to eat?"

[577/4202]
Riku

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Satori Ryuutei on Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:15 pm

Satori noticed the sad, and yet happy smile-- it was both at once, and he knew better than to poke around in the girl's feelings. Not yet, perhaps once they knew one another a bit longer, but he wasn't so tactless as to just jump straight into the girls past. He knew some, and vague ideas would do just fine for now. Instead, once they were inside he answered her question with his usual casual air as he hung up their jackets on the hooks made of antlers.

"It varies. When it comes to training in chakra you must have passed your initial adulthood trial. Due to that, the average for any of us learning to use chakra of any nature varies from five to ten years old. It depends on how hard you've trained, and how determined you are, and of course how resourceful you may be." As he stated this, Satori turned to look toward the girl when her stomach rumbled, a laugh slipping from his lips as he would nod toward the table where cushions surrounded it, the large chairs clearly designed for a more casual setting.

"I'll bring you something. Unless you want to watch, that's fine too," With this he moved toward the doorway, contemplating the previous question.

"They're bone. We're bound by law to never waste anything that we kill. If you've taken life, you must take responsibility and use every bit of the body to the best of your ability. Meat is eaten, tendons are turned to twine and rope. Skin and hide to leather, bone to weapons, furniture, and building materials. Dice and needles, and so on." As they moved into the kitchen this proved all the more true, the kitchen was small, but not confined. Pans hung from pegs in the cupboards, and a large cabinet was settled, there was notably no fridge.

Instead, when he opened it there was salted meats hanging from the ceiling and in sterilized, airtight wooden crates. Jar's full of fermented or pickled, or simply canned vegetables lined the shelves inside and he contemplated a few moments before glancing upward.

"Probably want something light," he pondered, before grasping what appeared to be half of a chicken, plucked, cleaned and salted. Turning he placed it down and drew one of the large pants that held a bone handle, placing it down on the stove. Turning a metal knob that had been hand-forged clearly, causing the slight scent of compost to form before Satori snapped his fingers next to the eye. Instantly, electricity sparked from his hand, igniting the eye with brilliant flame as the scent of natural gas being burned filled the air, replacing the scent of compost immediately.

"Anything we can't use from kills is turned into compost. The compost's gases are then stored in a tank outside, while the compost itself is slowly turned to fertilizer that we then put in our soil." As he explained this idly, he would begin washing the salt from the chicken. Causing the salt water to gather in a bucket inside the sink, saving it so the salt could be saved for future usage after being removed from the water through dehydration.

Once the chicken was ready, Satori casually sliced the meat from the bones, butchering the half a chicken casually with practiced strokes as he removed skin, tendon, vein, and bone. As the meat sizzled, he didn't even look up as he grasped familiar wood-carved shakers that dashed the chicken with herbs and seasoning. A bit of soy sauce, and then the bones and extra's were dumped in a pot on another eye of the stove. Adding water and capping it off, clearly intending to make a stock with it before turning and beginning to put in rice on the third eye while he glanced at Riku.

"If you want an example though, Serena and Saika started to practice last year, and they're considered about average. I started studying chakra at five after I passed my first trial, and I'm considered abnormal." A slight shrug, clearly not thinking much of the "achievement", it was nothing compared to his future goals after all.

[711/7,108]
Satori Ryuutei

Back to top Go down

Post by Riku on Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:27 pm

"That makes sense," the blue haired girl commented on Satori's description of when Ryuutei children started learning to mold chakra. "My mother's family believes in early starts. Tsughi started joining my lessons once she could walk and talk."

"I'll go with you," Riku decided after running her fingers along the bone table leg. She stood and followed Satori into the kitchen.

"No waste, huh," the blue haired girl murmured. Brown eyes trailed over the pots, pans, and other kitchen utensils, taking note of the materials: bone, wood, leather.

Her eyes hungrily took in the salted meat crates and jars of vegetables. Half her mind strayed from Satori's voice to how she might be able to copy some of the Ryuutei's methods of storing food to help increase the amount of meat in her own household. Riku's diet, unlike a Ryuutei's, consisted mostly of rice and vegetables (often pickled) with tofu and only a little bit of meat. Beans and nuts provided a lot of the protein in the blue haired girl's diet because they were cheaper.

"Does that include human kills?" Riku asked, coming closer to watch Satori light the stove. Her tone held a quiet awe at the resourcefulness of the Ryuutei clan.

She kept an ear out for the response, eyes already wandering to explore the rest of the kitchen. Every detail was of interest to the knowledge thirsty girl. This was, after all, the first time she got to freely examine the house of someone she wasn't related to.

She sniffed the air lightly as the scent of meat drifted from the pan. Her mouth watered. Riku had never had so much meat in a casual meal before, let alone a snack. She licked her lips slightly while Satori sliced the meat from the bone. Riku could almost taste the meat.

The tall boy's mention of when he began to work with chakra in comparison to his sisters piqued Riku's curiosity even further.

"What was your first trial?"

[342/4544]
Riku

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Satori Ryuutei on Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:07 pm

Satori answered her first question without even a moment of hesitation. Nodding his head once in agreement. "Human's aren't special. We're like any other animal, only held together by our cultures and morals that vary so tremendously they're impossible to rely on or worry over. Bodies of our kin and those we kill or find are used as much as any deer or beast." With this, he flipped the chicken idly as the rice began to boil, locking on the pressurized lid and cranking it steadily to help increase the speed of the cooking without harming the rice.

With that done, he turned and stirred the stock that was rapidly forming, adding in soy sauce and a few diced chilies that were hanging from the roof in the cellar. The second question was answered as he worked.

"The first trial is universal. We are stripped naked, all weapons and supplies removed. We haven't learned to control chakra yet, as that is the purpose of the trial. We are then sent into the forest with nothing and told to survive on our own for a month, six months from our birthday. Mine ended up being in the middle of winter due to that. Serena's and Saika's were done in the spring of last year." As he explained this he would stir the pot, watching it slowly turning into a deep broth that smelled lightly of spices before he moved toward an odd looking wooden counter piece.

Which then opened, revealing it's handmade steel internal workings as a small refrigerator that was part of the counter itself. Pulling out a jug of incredibly heavy looking cream Satori rose back up and moved toward the stove.

"It took me about a month to make that by hand when I was building this place," he stated idly, in reference to the refrigerator, before he would turn and pour the cream into the broth, turning it into a honey and cream-hued sauce. Then pouring that through a metal woven basket, draining out any thick chunks of meat, bones, and so forth leaving behind a glowing sauce. Finally, he continued his previous answer.

"You have to survive with nothing, and when the month finishes you have to break down the camp you made so no one else can use it and find your way back home, alone. Taking with you all the tools, clothing, and supplies you've gathered during your month stay." Raising a hand up and grasping a wooden carved bowl, Satori used a long wooden spoon with a bone handle to transfer two large spoonfuls of rice into its bottom before adding the hefty amount of chicken on top. Finishing it with a ladle of the sauce before he'd turn and lead her out of the room, setting down along with a pair of elegant ivory chopsticks for her to use that had been carved into elegant designs of dragons circling one another along their grips.

"Let me clean up, I'll be right back," he stated simply, petting her head and moving so she could enjoy her meal in the dining room/living room combination. The sound of pots turning echoing from the kitchen before Satori came out with a large plate that held dried fruits and nuts, as well as what appeared to be a large slab of smoked pork that had a honey glaze. Setting it down between them to share, the meat was still pink in the center and sliced thin.

"There's no bacteria in it, drying and smoking the meat takes care of that. It's sweet, you'll like it." A slight smile formed on Satori's lips as his own chopsticks that matched her own but held designs of lions instead popped a slice of dried apple into his mouth. Now, with the scent of meat filling the air, distant meow's began to be heard.

[661/7,769]
Satori Ryuutei

Back to top Go down

Post by Riku on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:16 pm

Satori's blunt description of humanity as nothing special and only held together by cultures they made for themselves made Riku give him a wide eyed look. She hadn't ever thought of humanity so... harshly. Perhaps another person wasn't necessarily meaningful to her just because they were human. Her family, however, was special to her. Riku couldn't put any moral reasoning to it; she depended on, relied on, and had grown close to them and so she would be protective of them until the day she died.

"Brutal and practical," she mumbled, the only commentary she was willing to offer at the moment. Riku hadn't really been taught a specific way to view humanity in general, only her duty to her family.

Could she so comfortably use a tool that had been made from her father's flesh and bones?

Riku shook her head to banish the gruesome thought, trying not to let her eyes water. Instead, she focused on the description of the first trial and tried to imagine surviving something like that with nothing but her skin and strength to guide her through. The blue haired girl shivered slightly at the thought. It was no surprise Satori was so strong; he wouldn't have survived to meet her otherwise.

Still pensive, Riku nodded at Satori's casual mention of having built the refrigerator (and the house) by himself, but didn't comment aloud. She followed him back to the dining room and sat obediently, waiting for him to return.

The pat on the head was vaguely comforting, stirring the blue haired girl from her thoughts.

The scent of the freshly cooked meal (was this what Satori considered a snack?) made her mouth water and her nose twitch. While Riku waited for Satori to come back, she examined the ornate, bone chopsticks the tall boy had lent her for the meal. She ran a finger over the design, feeling the fine lines carved into the material.

Satori must have spent a long time making these, Riku mused, picking the chopstick up between her thumb and two fingers to hold it closer to her face for inspection.

The tall boy's return elicited a faint smile from the blue haired girl seated at the table. Though she had gone quiet, Riku didn't seem terribly disturbed or uncomfortable so much as thoughtful. The meows drew a giggle from Riku.

"Are there a lot of cats that live here? Are any of them pets?"

[421/4965]
Riku

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Satori Ryuutei on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:33 pm

Her comment on the methods being "brutal and practical", caused a slight nod of Satori's head. "Indeed. Just like every other species on the planet, besides other humans that think themselves superior enough to question the laws of nature." A slight shrug, it wasn't an accusing statement and there was no harshness in his voice. He was simply speaking a fact he knew was true, humans didn't fear nature and hadn't for many years. It's what had allowed them to grow as they had, only great catastrophes reminding them of their place.

Still, he glanced at her at the concept of it being just that and felt he needed to say something more. "But, we don't simply carve up the meat and forget them, you know." As he stated this he slowly allowed his gaze to drift out toward the window of the kitchen that faced the great farmlands.

"They are with us still. They nurture the crops that feed their children. They protect their families even in death as powerful weapons. A father may no longer exist to chop wood, but his bones that form an axe can be used to do so, in a way, even after he has faded. A mother may no longer be able to suture your clothing, but she can still be the needle. We pass down our knowledge as if it were gold, because that knowledge is who a person truly is, those memories, that information, the thoughts and philosophy they had. That is what makes a human. Not some sack of meat and organs that can so easily fall, and die. Ideals, Thoughts, Teachings-- these things are immortal as long as you are willing to carry them, and pass them on." A slight smile formed on his lips at this, before he straightened and turned as they headed to the dining room.

"It's why any one of us would die for our clan, for our village and people, without hesitation. No matter our age-- though, we do our best to ensure the children don't have too, as they are the next generation to hear our stories." Once this was done, he allowed the words to peter away, and once he had returned with the food the boy would fall into his seat across from her and chew his bite of food.

Of course, as the girl would inquire about cats a light laugh filled his chest. "Ryuutei have no pets. Only friends." He stated simply, nodding toward the far wall. It was difficult to see, but there were slim flaps in the walls upper sections with shelves aligned tactically for something to come down from it with ease. As if called, a sudden bright orange fuzzy head pushed the flap open and meowed. It held no collar but idly slinked inside as it began to make its way down the steps. The feline was large for a cat but clearly was still of the domestic breeds to some degree.

"Kalla," he stated shortly with an amused smile. "We have many cats, leftover descendants from our first elder. Bears from our second still wander the forest as guardians, in a way, though we have drifted apart as is in their nature. You'll often see Tigers here, due to our current elder." As he explained this, the large cat leap up onto the table and would sit patiently. Without hesitation, Satori removed a piece of the meat and placed it down for the cat on the table on a slim wooden plate that almost appeared to be on the table for that purpose with how naturally he did so.

"They do not eat on the floor. They choose their own names. They kill our moles, mice, and insects, protecting our farms. Alert us of danger, and in return, we call them by their names, never enslave, and fight alongside them." Lowering a hand, the feline sniffed it a moment, before butting his head against it and accepting the meat. Biting into the flesh with practiced ease as Satori took another bite for himself.

[688/8,475]
Satori Ryuutei

Back to top Go down

Post by Riku on Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:10 am

The explanation of how the Ryuutei clan honored their dead through immortalizing their ideas (and parts of their bodies) made the practice of getting use out of everything, even the corpses of their loved ones, seem more cathartic than harsh and cold. Riku imagined the spirits of Ryuutei past lingering in the compound, their memories imbedded in every aspect of Ryuutei clan life from the crops she'd seen in the fields outside basking in the sun to the very tools they used for every day life to the weapons that protected current generations from harm.

Riku, by contrast, had nothing left of her father but the memories. Taji hadn't really spoken of Lee since he died two years before. The blue haired girl kept him alive through bedtime stories whispered to Tsughi after Taji tucked them in bed. Riku hadn't had the heart to ask her mother about her father yet. She hadn't felt right agitating the half healed wounds in her mother's heart.

In the meantime, Riku sampled her food. The rich and creamy sauce complemented the rice and chicken almost perfectly.

"Mmm," the blue haired girl let out a moan of satisfaction as savory flavors danced across her tongue, a grin stretching across her face. The questions and pensiveness were pushed to the back of Riku's mind for the next several bites of food.

She looked over at the cat, who was wolfing down the offering from Satori's plate with similar gusto.

Quietly she wondered how the cats and other animals communicated their names. They could probably talk. Were they summons? Riku wondered if it would be too invasive to ask. While she pondered, the blue haired girl continued to eat.

"You're a good cook Satori-san," Riku told him between bites.

Right about then, the orange cat entered through the flap in the wall and made its way to the table, presumably to join them for their "snack".

"Nice to meet you Kalla-san. I'm Rostu Riku. I hope we get along." The blue haired girl reached out a hand and offered it a few inches away from the orange cat for Kalla to smell.

[367/5332]

Last edited by Riku on Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Riku

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top