The First Kill [NK, Private, Plot]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The First Kill [NK, Private, Plot]

Post by Satori Ryuutei on Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:41 pm

Satori had led the way through the grounds of the compound, they'd been after weaponry and arms for the boy to use on the hunt, though it did occur to him that he hadn't yet told Akemi was the hunt even was. With this thought as he entered the armory and turned toward him, he jerked a thumb at the multitude of ivory and steel weapons decorating the walls. Everything from kunai, to bows, axes, and blades. Each unique, clearly all hand-made by multiple smiths and craftsmen.

Once they turned, Satori would idly rest his hands on his hips. "You haven't killed anyone yet, have you, Akemi?" He inquired bluntly, likely catching the boy off-guard, but Satori wasn't concerned as he waved a hand to get his attention. "Put out your arms," he commented simply while he waited on the response, before carefully measuring the boy's arms and wingspan with his hand before doing the same for the smaller boys legs and torso. Afterward straightening and moving toward the armory he began grabbing weapons as he passed them. One of each type, each one at the correct measurement for the boy's stature to ensure it wasn't too long or short to be used properly.

Laying the weaponry out over a table, he turned and began gathering pieces of armor. At a glance, the boy hadn't ever worn any, so it made sense to ensure that the boy had light armor. It was less protection, but far easier to move in and adjust too compared to actual armor. With that, the boy began laying out leather pieces of armor, leg and arm guards, a torso guard, and so forth.

"Put on the armor first, over your clothing, then try the different weapons to see what feels the most natural too you," Satori explained idly, finally turning after a few minutes of gathering he was satisfied and would stand by patiently. If the boy needed help getting the armor on he would move to help, not bothered by any lack of experience the boy may have with such things.

[357]
Satori Ryuutei

View user profile https://www.patreon.com/emblevins

Back to top Go down

Re: The First Kill [NK, Private, Plot]

Post by Akemi on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:08 pm

He followed Satori as they walked through the compound, heading to get weapons and armor for the hunt. Several times Akemi had almost asked what the hunt was about. As they entered the armory, and Akemi took a look around. Satori had been gesturing behind him with his thumb and as he looked there were tons of weapons all over the place. Bows, axes, kunai blades, each and every single one of them made by expert craftsmen. And they were covering the walls. He’d never seen so much weaponry in his life. Even his own mother only ever kept a kunai and some shuriken, he wasn’t used to everything that he was seeing.

Yet as he was marveling at the weaponry all around him Akemi suddenly asked if he hadn’t killed anyone, to which Akemi shook his head. He’d never killed anyone, had never had the desire to do so, nor had he ever had a reason to. He was a bit confused as he looked over at Satori, a young man who by now should’ve known that Akemi hadn’t killed anyone. He didn’t have the eyes. He had resolve, but that was about all he had. He’d never wished for death on anyone.

But… His father and his mother had both told him that if he couldn’t bring himself to kill then he couldn’t become a shinobi. Regardless of how he felt on the matter he would have to take someone’s life; that or he, himself, would die. He would have to harden himself if he ever truly wanted to be a shinobi. He still didn’t exactly see how that was possible. It wasn’t possible that he HAD to kill in order to be a shinobi. He… There had to be another way… Right? But, it was more than possible and probable, that it wasn’t possible.

Satori grabbed different weapons of a size that appeared to fit Akemi and himself. Then, after looking Akemi over, he began to lay out different pieces of armor, all of which seemed to be leather. Slowly he walked over and picked up the different pieces of armor and, with a little effort, put them on piece by piece.

Slowly he tested out several of the weapons. Of all the weapons the blade felt best, and most natural in his hands. He gave it a few test swings, checked the grip and smiled before turning back to Satori.

“So,” Akemi said as he sheathed the blade and tested the armor he was currently dressed in. “I hadn’t asked this yet, but what is this hunt?”

{431}

Akemi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Satori Ryuutei on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:17 pm

Satori noticed the way the boy's eyes shifted uncertainly, the body language that he gave off, the way he reacted to the concept of killing. It was all very human, but sadly, ninja wasn't human in the normal sense. Releasing a slow breath, he outright smacked the boy upside the head, ignoring his initial question as he placed his hands on his hips. Staring firmly into the boy's eyes, he made his position as straightforward as possible, this was important. If he didn't make it clear, ti would cause Akemi to die one day far too early.

"You're a Jounin, Akemi-- no, let's go even sooner. You're a Chunin. You've just gained your flak jacket, and they've sent you on your first real mission. It's nothing serious, a minor C-Rank to ensure the safety of a small caravan of merchants from here to a nearby territory. You're attacked by a group of bandits, they're just bandits, but you can't handle ten or more at once. They capture some of the merchants." Satori's voice was calm as he crossed his arms over his chest.

"What do you do?" This was no longer a discussion on the hunt, it was a rhetorical situation. Akemi wasn't idiotic, he doubted the boy didn't understand where this was going, but in battle uncertainty was death. When you began pondering "should I" instead of just doing something, you died. It was why dedicated training was so important, almost everything a ninja did had to be ingrained in their muscle memory, and so did the killing. Grief and moral questions could come once the battle was over, not during.

This was important. He had to ensure that Akemi no longer stumbled over thoughts like "what if I find a way to win without killing". That was the right of someone so powerful that they had time to think about that in the middle of combat, that was something that few ninja ever had the chance to ponder. Even the Kage, as strong as they were, could only ponder such things against C-Rank or lower ninja. Doing so for those above that level would just risk their death needlessly, and too many hopes rid on them.

Satori kept his arms crossed, watching the boy patiently, waiting as his feline, crimson eyes bore into the boys own. Methodically, carefully, he would pinpoint Akemi's weakness-- and smack it with reality. He could grieve for his kills, he could question his morals if he had too, but if the boy couldn't kill and do so without hesitation-- he was no good as a ninja.

[453/810]
Satori Ryuutei

Back to top Go down

Post by Akemi on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:39 am

Satori sighed slowly, then walked up to Akemi and smacked him upside the back of the head, ignoring his question. Akemi rubbed the back of his head, confused as to why Satori had just hit him, not that it was beyond the realm of believability for him to do it anyways, but it still confused him. He was about to ask why the hell Satori had just slapped him upside the back of the head when his friend suddenly posed a scenario, rhetorical as it was.

Immediately he began thinking. There were several things that he could probably do to stop them…

“Well, I could… No, wait, I couldn’t do it fast enough to catch them all before they could save their associates… Hmm, wait! I could… No, I wouldn’t be able to hit them quick enough before they stopped me…” He frowned and continued thinking. But the more that he thought about it, the more he began to realize something. “I’d, I’d have to kill them. The only way to accomplish my mission would be to kill the bandits. That’s what you’re getting to.” Satori’s tone was calm, and without any hints of judgement or concern. His parents, mother specifically, had continuously told him that if he intended to be a ninja then he would have to accept that he would have to kill someone. Now even Satori was telling him the same thing.

It didn’t matter though. Akemi was always the kind of guy that tried to find a different solution to death and violence, but during his training with his mother she was constantly shooting such ideas down. She would kick him, punch him, knock him down and kept telling him that sometimes it didn’t matter what you wanted, that sometimes you didn’t have a choice. Sometimes you had to do whatever you had to do to accomplish an objective.

“Satori,” he said looking up at the other boy. “I know that I need to get tougher. My mom constantly tells me that if I want to be a ninja that I have to get used to acting without considering what might happen. I can’t think that I can find a way to not kill them, like you said. It’s a big reason as to why I’ve been training with you and your father. Your clan is tough because of your training. I’ll have to get used to killing, that much is obvious. Be honest with me. Is that what this hunt is about?”

{417}

Akemi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Satori Ryuutei on Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:48 pm

It took a bit, but the boy seemed to get the idea. Satori had expected to have to cut him off each time, but instead, the boy was doing it for him. Quickly coming up with plans then ensuring he was wrong, and moving forward. One he came to the point of killing, Satori simply nodded his head once in agreement. However, as the boy brought up "toughness" Satori snorted and waved his hand.

"I don't give a damn how strong you are, Akemi. Physical power, skill, tactics, all that can be gained through practice at any time if you're determined enough. I'm only concerned about your mental state. Ninja are, by nature, living weapons of their country. We're super soldiers. Designed to slaughter, and responsibly use the skills and techniques we've gained to protect and serve our village, our country. Skill and technique, strength, that all comes second to one thing-- your mental state." Reaching up to his shoulder, Satori tugged the bone blade from his back and casually flipped it. Offering the other boy the handle with a relaxed expression.

"Take a few swings with it. Feel how the blade hums to your chakra passively and increases how easily it swings, how easily it cuts through the air?" Once the boy had given a few swings, he stated in a firm tone.

"That blade is made out of the woman that I killed. I made it myself, using my clan's methods of taking human chakra and infusing it into their remains to enhance the material. Killing comes as naturally to adult Ryuutei as it does breathing. We have accepted our role, and no longer hesitate in the slightest, that is our strength." Lowering his hands he reached to accept the blade to take it back.

"This hunt is to capture those that would do harm to the village. To our people, and use them as the trial into adulthood for our newest generation that wish to become adults. You are not expected to kill them, however, I think it will be good for you. Learning to kill in a situation like this is the safest option, and even doing it only once will ensure the shock won't cause you to hesitate before and after the action in real battle, which could cost you your life." Sheathing the blade into its location once more, Satori crossed his arms over his chest. Waiting for the reactions of the other boy, for his questions, and his resolve however feeble it may be.

He'd come to expect that out of Akemi. If nothing else, the boy was willing to do anything he had to in order to better himself, this was no different in that way.

[462/1,272]
Satori Ryuutei

Back to top Go down

Post by Akemi on Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:30 am

Akemi said that he didn’t care how strong he was physically. Power, tactics skill all of these could be honed by constant practice and patience. They could be cultivated. But it was his mental state that Satori was concerned with. The power that ninja wielded, after all, made them veritable living weapons, things that would defeat and kill adversaries. It didn’t matter what they thought personally, the fact of the matter was that not killing wasn’t an option. On difficult missions, it was very possible that one would have to kill opposing ninja, or else they would die.

Akemi watched as his friend reached up and pulled out the blade of bone from his back and offered it to Akemi with a calm expression. Slowly, Akemi reached up and took it from his friend, holding it. He tested the weight for a moment and swung it a few times. He could practically feel it trying to synchronize with his natural energy. It sliced through the air, whistling only lightly in the wind when he swung it. When Satori told Akemi where the blade had come from and how it had been made to be the way it was, he felt a little queasy. He spun the blade back around and handed it back to Satori, doing his best not to show the way that he felt.

One of the main things that he was beginning to realize that he had to fix was his hesitation. There was no shame in loving and valuing life but when your people were threatened, or your own life was threatened then taking the life of on that was threatening that life was not wrong. One did not have to stop valuing the lives taken, but had to accept that killing them was a matter of survival.

This hunt was about capturing those that would do harm to the village after which the Ryuutei would use them in the trial of adulthood. Satori told him that while he wasn’t expected to kill any of them, that he thought it would be good for him, so that he could understand what it meant. So that he could steal his resolve and no longer be afraid of killing. He watched his friend sheathe his blade and then cross his arms. Akemi had found a friend that had been helping him.

He picked up the sword that Satori had sat on the table and gave it a few test swings. “I know, that I’m not like your clan,” he said, testing the grip. “I never went through the normal mental conditioning that you have been put through. I’m not a Ryuutei, so my training with my family hasn’t been nearly as difficult.” He looked over at his friend. “But I want to do this. I have to get used to this. Is there anything else I should know about this hunt?”

{483}

Akemi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Satori Ryuutei on Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:35 pm

Satori listened quietly to the boy, judging his reactions carefully, especially noting the uncertainty in regards to his blade. A slight smile formed on his lips, tucking his hands back into his pockets as he explained the obvious. How he hadn't gone through the "Ryuutei Conditioning", how he wasn't one of them, and his training hadn't been nearly as "difficult", causing the other boy to shrug slightly.

"None of that matters. What did I tell you when we first met? If you want to do something, then do it. Period." Shifting his gaze upward he shook his head slightly, "You think too much about pointless things, Akemi. You hold yourself back so much just because you're so uncertain about everything. The only one you're talking to when you say things like that is yourself, no one elses opinion-- not even mine, matters in the end. I can give you advice, I can give you my view, but that doesn't mean you have to take it." Raising a hand upward he would simply point at his chest.

"You could have refused what I said. You could have said you'd find a way to be a ninja without killing. Sure, you'd die. But you could still have that mentality, it's your choice." Slowly he would rest his hand on his hip, looking down at him quietly.

"You need to find your own rock, Akemi. As a man, you need something that you can cling to, no matter how turbulent the situation and never let go. It doesn't matter how high it may be. A great podium that refuses you to kill, putting you above so many others that are more realistic. A refusal to ever use a weapon. A refusal to ever leave a cry for help unanswered. If that rock is identical to my own, or close but slightly altered, that's fine. But so far I have yet to see you really cling to any actual stance or ideal, and it's going to get you killed. That uncertainty resonates through your every action, every expression and thought." Slowly releasing a breath, he shrugged.

"But I'm just a brat too, so don't put too much credit on what I say. Just my opinion." Clapping his hands together he turned, looking back at the weapons as he examined him wielding the sword.

"Does that feel comfortable to you? Test as many out as you want." Placing his hands in his pockets and relaxing once more in place while Akemi tested out his preferenced, Satori answered the previous question finally.

"As far as the hunt, nothing directly, but be aware of our rituals. Killing is not something to be taken lightly, so when we kill anything, the body is used to its fullest. Meat is eaten, bone is turned to weapons and tools, hide to leather, and so forth. Be mentally prepared for that fact." Turning, Satori would face the wall as he contemplated anything else the boy may want.

"Have you trained with any other weapons in the past?" He inquired curiously, glancing over his shoulder to see if there was anything specific he should focus on.

[538/1,810]
Satori Ryuutei

Back to top Go down

Post by Akemi Yesterday at 12:27 am

Satori was definitely right; Akemi did remember his friend telling him about that. If you want to do something then he just had to do it. He did spend a lot of time thinking about things that to most people, especially most shinobi, would think about. But he didn’t hold himself back that much, did he? He needed to stop questioning such things, Satori was definitely right about that. The only opinion that should matter to Akemi was Akemi’s.

Thinking on it, logically, he could have refused what Satori said, he could try to keep clinging to the naïve mentality that could be a ninja without killing. But he was going to be the best shinobi! He was going to be the sword against Kirigakure’s enemies, and a shield for her people. Satori wanted to talk about a rock?

“Satori, I’m going to be the greatest shinobi of all time. I’ll become even more powerful than Hashirama himself, and I’m going to do all of this so that I can destroy the Kirigakure’s enemies and protect her people. That’s my rock.” He swallowed once. Even if it means killing people, I will be the sword and the shield of the Kirigakure.” But he couldn’t help but frown a little bit as Satori called himself a brat. “you’re not a brat, Satori. Just not as much experience as the adults, yet.” He made sure to throw that yet in there.

He tested out the blade, liking the way it bit and cut through the air, though he put it down to momentarily test out the axe, and then bow. Neither of the other two weapons felt right in his hands, unfortunately. One of the main problems with axes was that they were too heavy for him to use properly, and the issue with the bow was that he tended to get caught in it. Akemi looked over the different weapons and picked up the blade once again, listening to his friend.

Akemi stopped momentarily and admired the craftsmanship of the weapon as Satori told him about the ritual. He wasn’t one hundred percent certain what to make of what he was being told. The meat was eaten, the bones were turned into weapons and tools skin to leather, and so on. He began processing that fact. He’d known that the Ryuutei clan was not like the normal ninja, but he’d never thought that was part of their ritual. Still, he’d agreed to come on this hunt. He’d agreed to be a part of this hunt, he’d agreed to take part in this, there was no pulling out now, not for Akemi. He swallowed. He would just have to prepare himself for what happened when he got to that point.

But suddenly he looked over at Satori as his friend asked him if he’d trained with any other weapons. He shook his head.

“I’m afraid not. The only weapon I ever really used was my kodachi that my mother had bought. That’s why I wanted to test this weapon out, just make certain that I can use it pretty well.” He gave it another swing. “I’m mostly getting my head ready for this ritual. This will be the first time I’ve killed someone, and I just want to make sure that I’m fully prepared.” Unfortunately this was true. It was going to be his first kill. Though on some level he was happy that he would at least have lost this one part of innocence after this hunt tonight. He couldn’t remain innocent as he was if he wanted to remain a shinobi. His parents, and Satori both knew this, and his mother and Satori understood the feeling and after tonight, he would as well.

{623}

Akemi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Satori Ryuutei Yesterday at 1:21 am

Satori tilted his head a bit as Akemi offered his "rock", and Satori shook his head a bit. "No. You're only halfway there. But that's enough for now, you're smart, you'll figure it out without me shoving it down your throat." Just making sure that he thought about it would be enough, and would do wonders for the boy's confidence and understanding. He was too focused on power, too focused on skills and abilities still. A rock wasn't something so complex, something that grounded a warrior was always something simple.

Akemi would have to dig deeper, and he needed to do it himself. The core of what he had just explained and stated, he wanted to protect people. It was that simple, that was the boy's rock. Once he realized that and found he could focus on it, he knew Akemi would make great strides. Power wasn't enough. Adding power into the equation meant that without that power, you would hesitate. Without that skill, you'd stumble and fall. Akemi needed to make his rock, and it needed to be something so powerful that it didn't matter what happened.

Lost legs. No chakra. Bleeding out and dying. Broken, having lost all that he loved. If he truly found his rock, none of that would matter, and he would become a force of nature. This was the lesson his father taught him, and now he was trying to help Akemi realize it as well. Though he was fully aware it would likely take a bit of time, it had taken him time to figure out his own after all.

Releasing a brief sigh, he would turn his mind toward the hunt instead. Straightening as he listened to his words. "A Kodachi, huh?" Satori murmured curiously before glancing back toward the wall as he would glance through the options, before grasping a scimitar from the wall and turning. Offering the sheathed blade to the boy casually, "Try this then. It's about the same weight and has more weight at the tip to help transfer weight more easily, it'll help make up for the lack of muscle on your frame, but isn't so heavy you can't wield it. The shape is similar too, though it's a bit more curved." As he stated this, he would idly rest his hands at his sides, waiting for the final verdict from the boy.

Depending on his response the next choice would be the last to get him armed, and then they could be on their way to begin the next stage, the start of the hunt itself.

[445/2,255]
Satori Ryuutei

Back to top Go down

Post by Akemi Yesterday at 9:56 pm

Satori shook his head, saying that he was halfway there, but that he was smart and he would figure it out on his own. His cheeks burned a bit, like they always did when people complimented him. It wasn’t like it was bad or that he didn’t appreciate it, it’s just that he was never expecting the compliment. This was especially true of Satori, whom he respected more than most of the kids in his class. Satori was more of a warrior than everyone in their class and Akemi had always wondered how he’d become the way he was. Well, he had his answer now.

He would still have to find this “rock” that Satori kept talking about for himself. It didn’t matter how much he wanted to protect the village, there was something more that he just wasn’t getting. He didn’t know what it was that he wasn’t getting but if he kept going, if he kept his head up and moved forward he would find it, eventually. Akemi couldn’t help but smile.

Lightly, Akemi put down the blade as Satori went back towards the wall to grab a different weapon. Watching silently, Akemi began to realize how lucky he truly was. He had always been curious about different cultures, and enjoyed learning greatly. And he was friends with a someone in one of the clans and was even about to participate in one of their rituals, as grisly as it sounded. Plus he’d already come this far, and he knew that he couldn’t be rude and refuse it now. Besides, it was a special opportunity , and one that he wasn’t sure he would ever get again.

Satori handed him a blade that he called a scimitar, and as Akemi unsheathed it he couldn’t deny that his friend was right. It was about the same weight as his kodachi, though the majority of it seemed to be near the edge, and as he swung it, the weapon seemed just slightly heavier towards the edge. He used some of the technique that he’d used when training with his kodachi and, for the most part, the swings felt as natural as his weapon did. Though, he couldn’t lie it was a bit more curved that he was used to.

“I like it,” he said, gripping it tighter after a few test swings. “It works really well, and should slide in and out of adversaries with ease.” Then he sheathed the blade. “I won’t lie to you, Satori, I’m a bit excited but mostly anxious.” He exhaled slowly. He had decided to come with Satori. “Still, I’m going to participate in this and I’ll see it through to the end, no matter what.”

{452}

Akemi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Satori Ryuutei Today at 4:29 am

As Akemi would shift through a few basic strikes and movements with the blade, Satori watched his footwork and movements carefully. They were basic but certainly usable, and he clearly was more comfortable with the blade then the other weapons he'd been testing. Satisfied with it, he would begin placing the other weapons back in their spots, carefully wiping off any marks from their fingertips each time as he listened to the other boy's statements.

"If you weren't nervous I'd probably call you stupid," he stated idly as he hung up the axe, the last of the items before wiping his hands idly and turning to face the boy once more. "Just focus on doing what you can, on what you need to do. I'll make sure nothing goes too far." As he stated this, Satori would then move toward the exit of the room. "Put it on your belt, we're going to meet up with the others at the edge of the forest." With this, the boy would wait for Akemi before stepping out and leading the way through the windings stone pathways. Heading toward the forest edge, though no one was waiting.

Satori didn't stop here, instead, heading directly into the forest itself and glancing back at the boy. "Move at your top speed that you can hold for long distances, I'll keep up. Head in that direction," raising a hand and pointing north, toward the edge of the village's border. Once Akemi did so, Satori dashed forward after the boy and kept pace with him easily, moving at his speed and leading the way through the forestry, out of the clan's jurisdiction, until they came to a single road that led, eventually, to the Mist Village itself.

From there, Satori halted, and the reason became apparent as there were about six other Ryuutei decorating the area, all of them bore headbands and three wore flack jackets marking their ranking. Four were female, two were male, all bearing the piercings that marked them as adults. One of the women stepped forward, hands on wide hips as the woman's brow arched, deep crimson hair flowing down her back.

"Satori, you're late, it's unlike you." Satori nodded once toward Akemi in response.

"I had to get approval from father to bring him. This is Akemi-kun, the one I mentioned." The woman glanced down at the boy, sizing him up briefly.

"The Student huh. Will he really be alright? They're just bandits, but they're sure as hell not random thugs in an alleyway. Has he experienced real combat?" Satori shook his head.

"No. But he'll be fine. I'll be with him and take in my quota as well, father believes he can do it, we managed to land a blow on him working together." The woman's brow arched, impressed clearly as she glanced toward Akemi once more before grunting and nodding.

"Alright. Try not to die, kid. I trust Satori, but don't go dying and causing us to deal with paperwork for the village." Turning, she would clap her hands together without waiting for a reply. All of them appeared calm and nonchalant despite the threat of possible death, it was the Ryuutei way. As long as the goal was achieved, the clan had gained a victory, and that meant their death held meaning. The only purpose for a member of their clan.

"Alright. The location is ten miles west. Each of you has been assigned your position. The camp consists of fifty-seven bandits. We're to take it down, and capture our quota at least seven each. Understood?" There was only silence and nodded heads before the woman turned and disappeared with a flash, heading into the woods.

Satori turned, looking at Akemi and offering a grin, "Still ready?" A final chance to get out of this, after this, there was no turning back.

[665/2,920]
Satori Ryuutei

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top